Saturday, January 1, 2011

Surgery on Monday

Well, my 2011 is getting off to a beginning not unlike my beloved Wolverines. Too bad I can’t fire my coach.


I wanted to let everyone know that Monday morning I will be undergoing a bladder operation at U of M hospital. It is an extensive procedure, designed to increase the capacity of my bladder and enable me to self-catheterize through a hole in my belly button (read more here and here). The wonders of science. While the 7 hour surgery, estimated week-long hospital stay and month or two of recovery will not be fun, I think it is a good long term decision that will increase both my independence and my health.

In preparation for Monday, I’m in the middle of a 3 day ‘clear liquids diet’, also known as torture. It is agonizing. I can’t stop daydreaming about double cheeseburgers. I’ve been ingesting orange Gatorade, cherry jello, and chicken broth every few hours, all while trying to avoid every other commercial on tv, advertising the latest Taco Bell smorgasbord. I feel like I’m in a gulag.

I ask for your thoughts and prayers, for a swift recovery and for excellent medical care. Also, pray for the sanity of my parents, they have enough gray hairs already.

Feel free to send emails, messages, letters, baked goods, cash money, and/or singing telegrams. Thank you.


My favorite Youtube videos of 2011 so far:

My new favorite reporter.
 

I want to be in Florida getting a tan on my back too.
 

Don't do drugs. Cool jump though.

1 comment:

  1. Cam! Best of Luck to u during the surgery and ur recovery! The outcome I'm sure will be a great one! I understand the liquid diet thing, I had a few stomach procedures over the years and I had to do the same thing multiple times, it really is the worst especially with the commercials! Welll best of luck with everything, and once you're done you should def go to Burger King and have it your way... xo -Becky

    ReplyDelete