Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Great Graduation Speech

George Saunders is a favorite author of mine (his book Tenth of December is an absolute must-read), and he gave this fantastic speech at Syracuse University's commencement this spring. 

He brings up an excellent question:
So here’s something I know to be true, although it’s a little corny, and I don’t quite know what to do with it: What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness.  
Those moments when another human being was there, in front of me, suffering, and I responded…sensibly.  Reservedly.  Mildly. 
Or, to look at it from the other end of the telescope:  Who, in your life, do you remember most fondly, with the most undeniable feelings of warmth? Those who were kindest to you, I bet. 
It’s a little facile, maybe, and certainly hard to implement, but I’d say, as a goal in life, you could do worse than: Try to be kinder. 
Now, the million-dollar question:  What’s our problem?  Why aren’t we kinder?

A lofty goal, to be sure, but certainly one worth striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment