Friday, October 9, 2009

I survive!

Yay! Surgery was a grand success, and despite some lingering drowsiness yesterday afternoon, I was totally fine. The doc wanted me to stay over night as a precaution, to make sure air from my trachea wasn't leaking out under the flap of skin/muscle that was pulled over the dent in my throat. The stretching of one of the vertical muscles in my neck horizontally to make a flap over the hole the surgeon cut out has resulted in some soreness. Right now, my throat's a little stiff, but once the muscles loosen up, things should be back to normal. I was looking forward to popping some Vicodins, you know, for 'pain management', but the nurse warned me they tend to 'bind you up' (read: severe constipation) so I passed on the pills. The stitches come out next week Thursday, so I'll be taking it easy until then. Gotta make sure this scar stays nice and pretty, I guess, so no therapy for a little while either. But at least now I'll have the time to make some progress on my Tivo queue; it was getting backed up.

5 comments:

  1. She's right about the vicodin. Tylenol 3 would be the strongest I'd go but straight tylenol would even be better, if you can tolerate the pain.

    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, looks great! Aunt Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a speedy recovery from the "neck" surgery!! How's the Tivo queue going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cam
    Hope you are recovered from surgery. Nat has another busy test week again. She is babysitting for a little guy this evening - 1 year old Tyson. His mom is attending college 1 night per week - obtaining her master's degree. She is a wonderful teacher. It was so cute when I walked in he walked over to me to give me a kiss & wanted me to pick him up. He must have mistaken me for someone else as he has only seen me 1 time. It made me feel special. He had 2 helpings of spaghetti. He is a strong little boy & eats more than Nat.
    Hope you are ready for snow season to begin again. We are to have flurries on Saturday. I'm definitely not ready for bad roads. We need to move to Mt. Vernon but can't leave my dad. He visits us daily - sometimes he doesn't stay long but he comes up. Hard to believe it has been 3 months since her death. That would not be good timing right now. Some year we will get serious about moving - next chapter of our life.
    I'm sure your mom continues to be your most favorite nurse - don't forget to do as she tells you. Nat needs to have her around to assist with the nursing studies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the surgery was a success. Hope all went well with the stitches, or extraction of them, today! :)

    ReplyDelete