Monday, July 11, 2011

Amazing US Soccer Win

I can't profess to be a big women's soccer fan, but as with other sports, I try to tune in during the biggest events, when that sport is on the world's stage. Usually, I'll catch highlights here and there, monitoring my favorite player or team's progress until they either make it to the high stakes games, which I'll actually watch, or they are eliminated, after which I'll cease watching, unless there's a hottie on a remaining team or something (Hello, Sweden!).  I sure am glad I was watching Sunday morning for the US Women's match against mighty Brazil, which was for my money one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever seen.

Soccer is a game prone to incredible amounts of tension; goals are rare, especially in games of this importance, but can come at any time, requiring only a few well timed passes or a fatal defensive error. The tendency towards 0-0 or 1-0 scoreboards can make watching soccer on DVR impossible, as an impatience for scoring can compel speeding through the entire game to watch only the goals. But watching it live is another thing entirely, that unfulfillable desire to fast-forward to the good parts serving instead to heighten the tension, because you don't know when the good parts are coming, or how many there will be, or if there will be any at all. Well, there was a good part early on Sunday morning, followed by a few (referee-assisted) bad parts, before concluding with a barrage of fantastic parts that made for an exciting and dramatic finish that people will be talking about for years to come. And to think, this is only the quarterfinals. Get the Cup, ladies!

British announcers make everything seem cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment